Monday, August 17, 2009

Baseball Bat Zucchini!


I have zucchini coming out of my ears...and who doesn't at this time of year. I always recommend growing zukes to new gardeners because the vegetable is fairly forgiving if you make a mistake or two (watering irregularly, not amending soil etc...) and rewards the gardener prolifically. The trick is to not let your zukes get any bigger than about 6-7". Any bigger than that and taste quality suffers. Actually, I prefer my zucchini to be on the rather small side with the blossom still attached which can be floured and fried in a little butter. Yum!!! Sometimes even missing one day of harvesting can land you with a huge baseball-bat of a squash. When I come across one of those I automatically allocate it for making zucchini bread/muffins. Save those little green gems for when you want a zucchini at it's flavorful peak!
Below you'll find a wonderful recipe for zucchini bread. Zucchini bread is a "quick bread" so you don't have to worry about kneading and rising and all that. I got it from 'The King Arthur Flour 200th Anniversary Cookbook". Enjoy!

Bagley House
Zucchini Lemon Muffins


2 Cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 T baking powder
1 tsp. salt
grated peel of 1/2 lemon
1/2 cup (or more) chopped walnuts
1/2 cup (or more) raisins
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 c milk
1/3 c vegetable oil
1 cup (packed) shredded zucchini
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and lemon peel in a large bowl. Stir in the walnuts and raisins.

In a smaller bowl (or a two-cup liquid measure), combine the eggs, milk and oil.

Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients. Stir just until barely combined and then gently fold in the zucchini.

Spoon the batter in a greased, 12-cup muffin tin. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the muffins spring back when you press them with your fingertips.

These freeze well!!!

1 comment:

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

Thanks for posting this recipe Mary. I will give it a try...lots of zuchinni to deal with here! I am a High School friend of Karen Kassner who told me about your blog. I think it is great what you are doing! I live in NC now but loved reading how you are living with chickens in Westacres! Post more often!